Name Changes

Skilled Guidance Through The Name Change Process

At the Franklin County law offices of Gillespie Law, LLC, we represent a wide variety of clients who desire to change their names. A legal petition to change a person’s name is ordinarily filed as a separate action in the probate division of the Court of Common Pleas in the county in which the person resides.

We have helped clients change their names for a wide variety of reasons. Some of these cases include name changes subsequent to adoption, marriage, divorce and other personal reasons.

Ohio Revised Code § 2717.01 requires that each case be reviewed and approved at a hearing. Wives involved in a domestic relations/family law case can change their name as part of this proceeding without filing a separate action in probate court as long as it is requested before the final hearing and incorporated into the final order/decree of the domestic relations court.

Q & A

Can I change my name to whatever I want to?

A person is permitted to change his or her name as long as it is “reasonable and proper.” There have been cases where requests to change a name has been denied. For example, some cases where requests to change names have been denied are cases where the request was for fraudulent purposes, interfered with the legal rights of others and in an attempt to circumvent registration requirements of a sexual offender.

How much does it cost to change my name?

The filing fees vary from county to county. Ordinarily, a petitioner is required to pay the required filing fee to the probate court and to pay to have his or her request published in a local newspaper before the hearing.

Contact Us If You Are Wishing To Change Your Name For Any Reason

We can help guide you through the steps required to change your name. Contact us online or call 614-602-6297. From our offices in Dublin, we provide representation for individuals throughout central Ohio.