Personal Injury FAQ

Answering Your FAQs Related To Personal Injury Cases

If you have sustained a personal injury in any incident such as a motor vehicle accident, workplace accident or premises liability situation, you will have many questions. And you need an experienced personal injury attorney. Gillespie Law, LLC, in Dublin, Ohio, is led by attorney Ross A. Gillespie, who has more than 15 years of legal experience. He and his team have assembled an FAQ list for clients.

I was just involved in an accident, what should I do?

  • Immediately seek medical attention for any physical injuries. It is important to seek medical treatment from a qualified medical professional such as emergency room staff or physicians to be properly evaluated and treated.
  • Move to a safe location. It is crucial to make sure you are in a safe and secure location that is not exposed to other dangers from oncoming traffic or other conditions.
  • Exchange Information with the people involved in the accident.
  • Record and preserve the facts and evidence. It is always a good idea to take pictures of the vehicles and people involved in an accident, including but not limited to the scene of the accident, damage to the vehicles involved, and pictures of your injuries. This eliminates any speculation later on and can clear up any confusion.
  • Complete accident reports and/or witness statements with the appropriate responding law enforcement agency. If you are involved in an accident it is always a good idea to make sure that an accident report is filed to properly document the fact and nature of the accident.
  • Contact us to discuss your case and to make sure your rights are protected.

Why should I hire you for my personal injury case?

Hiring an attorney can be one of the most important decisions you make. Having an experienced and diligent attorney who is not afraid to fight for your rights is important. Personal injury cases and the applicable law, especially in the area of damages, can be complex and difficult to understand.  With more than 15 years’ experience litigating personal injury cases, we are here to protect your rights.

Should I talk with the negligent party’s insurance company?

Generally, we recommend our client have all correspondence with insurance companies and/or interested parties to go through our office. It is important that these communications be properly documented and conducted in a fair manner. We have had too many experiences with our clients’ statements being misrepresented. This is why it is important to hire an experienced attorney to protect your rights before speaking with any insurance companies.

Commonly the at-fault parties’ insurance companies request a recorded statement. It is important to understand that you have no legal obligation to provide any insurance company with a recorded statement. It is also important to have an attorney represent you for any communication with an insurance company.

How are the attorney fees paid on my case?

Most commonly in personal injury cases, the attorney fees — compensation for our time and services — are paid on a contingency basis that is paid at the end of your case out of the judgment or settlement in your favor. The rate is most commonly one-third of the amount recovered for you.

How long will my case take?

The answer and length of time is dependent on many different factors, including but not limited to, how long it takes you to complete any related medical treatment of injuries you have sustained.  Another factor is whether or not we will need to file a legal action on your behalf to protect your rights and to obtain a fair amount of damages on your behalf.  However, most personal injuries cases are resolving anywhere from three months to two years from the date of the accident.

What is my case/claim worth?

The value of a client’s case and/or claims can be difficult to answer and is dependent on a variety of factors. This is why it is important to have these questions answered by an experienced attorney.  I will be happy to discuss the issue of the value of your claims/case with you.

Can the insurance company require I take my car to a certain repair facility or treat with a certain medical professional?

The short answer is no. Currently, if your property is damaged from an accident, you have the right to take your vehicle to any preferred repair facility.  If injured, you also have the right to be treated by any qualified medical professional.

Can I be compensated for my time missed from work?

Yes, currently under Ohio law, an at-fault party is required to compensate an injured person for any damages they have incurred as a direct result of an accident. This includes, lost wages compensation for time missed from your employment seeking medical treatment or for time spent recovering from your injuries.

Mr. Gillespie is prepared to help you in any personal injury case. He is experienced, accomplished and dedicated to his clients. He also has been recognized by his peers, being selected to the Rising Stars list in 2018.

We Want To Help You, So Call Now

Gillespie Law, LLC, in Dublin, Ohio, has represented many clients in personal injury cases related to motor vehicle accidents, workplace injuries and premises liability cases. Led by attorney Ross A. Gillespie, our team is devoted to our clients and seek results. We will answer any questions that may have. For a consultation, contact us online or call 614-602-6297.